The 2020 Global Media and Information Literacy (MIL) Week will take place on Oct. 24-31, 2020 under the theme “Creating a Peaceful Society: Media and Information Literacy, A Way out” for regional commemoration.
This year’s theme highlights how to address disinformation and divides by recognizing our shared interest in improving everyone’s competencies to engage with the opportunities and risks in today’s landscape of communication, technology, and information.
In line with the global commemoration, UNESCO Abuja Regional Office is organizing a series of activities on promoting MIL into a broader population as an effective tool for tackling disinformation in the non-Sahel region of West Africa, with a special focus on youth empowerment.
One of the activities is this call for slogans for the regional commemoration of the 2020 Global MIL Week. The call will be launched at the end of September to get a wide range of population engaged on social media.
The main objectives of this call for slogans include:
- To call upon youth to affirm their roles and determination against disinformation and take advantage of their innovation and creativity to gather broader alliance online for improving the media and information landscape in the region;
- To strategically campaign for the regional MIL challenges and increase visibility of the 2020 Global MIL Week;
- To diversify the interventions of promoting MIL, especially those youth-lead, creative and professional ones.
This call for slogans for the regional commemoration of the 2020 Global MIL Week consists of two phases:
- Phase 1: The call will be launched through official communication channels of UNESCO Abuja Regional Office (websites and social media handles) and with support of partners in further dissemination at the middle of September. All the qualified entries will be reviewed and rated by a professional injury committee composed of communication and information experts.
- Phase 2: The five (5) winners will be announced during the webinar commemorating the Global MIL Week, which will provisionally take place at the last week of October. The winning slogans will be used in communication and visibility materials of the 2020 Global MIL Week.
This call is open to all the residents in the non-Sahel region of West Africa (namely Benin Republic, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and Togo) between September 14 and October 18, 2020. Women, girls and people living with disabilities are strongly encouraged to participate.
The slogans, not more than 25 words, need to be aligned with this year’s theme of the Global MIL Week – “Creating a Peaceful Society: Media and Information Literacy, A Way out” for regional commemoration – as well as to reflect the determination for improvements of the current media and information landscape in the region.
Steps for Participation
- Step 1: Carefully read the entry guideline and rules and smartly utilize various resources to have a foundational understanding of the media and information landscape in the region
- Step 2: Create a slogan, no more than 25 words, aligned with this year’s theme of the Global MIL Week
- Step 3: Post a selfie picture with the slogan embedded on one of your social media handles (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram), using hashtags #UNESCOAbujaCall4Slogans and tagging at least five (5) other friends to enter this call
- Step 4: Pull more people around you to like, comment, and share your post as well as participate in the call
Submission Deadline: 5 p.m., 18 October 2020, Sunday (Abuja Time/GMT+1)
For further information, visit this Link.