Pop superstar Rihanna has donated $5 million to several organizations worldwide through her Clara Lionel Foundation to immediately mobilize a broad response working with on-the-ground partners that include Direct Relief, Feeding America, Partners in Health, The World Health Organization’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, the International Rescue Committee, and others to fight COVID-19 pandemic.
Funds will support:
- Local food banks serving at-risk communities and the elderly in the United States;
- Acceleration of testing and care in countries like Haiti and Malawi, as well as the mobilization of resources and additional capacity and support for Native communities;
- Protective equipment for frontline health workers and diagnostic labs, the establishment and maintenance of intensive care units, and acceleration of the development of vaccines and other therapies across the globe;
- Healthcare worker training, virus prevention and containment in countries that will be on the frontlines of the COVID-19 response; and,
- Distribution of critical respiratory supplies.
The Foundation’s Executive Director, Justine Lucas said, “Never has it been more important or urgent to protect and prepare marginalized and underserved communities those who will be hit hardest by this pandemic.”
Funds from the foundation also will support local food banks that serve at-risk communities and the nation’s elderly, and will aid testing and care in Haiti and Malawi, People reported. Money also will be earmarked to provide medical equipment, aid in vaccine and therapy research and development, and health care training.
The foundation — launched by Rihanna in 2012 and named for her grandparents, Clara and Lionel Braithwaite — distributed money to Direct Relief, Partners In Health, Feeding America, the International Rescue Committee and World Health Organization’s COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, among others, according to Billboard.
Over the past five years CLF has been one of the first organizations to respond to some of the world’s most devastating natural disasters, and we’ve seen firsthand the profound and unintended consequences of not being prepared.