The 16th session of the UN Forum on Forests (UNFF 16) will take place from 26-30 April in a virtual format due to the global pandemic. The event will include technical discussions on the UNFF thematic priorities, a high-level roundtable, and presentations of documentation and subsequent general discussions.
This year, UNFF16, will have a full agenda. As outlined in the quadrennial programme of work, UNFF16 will be a technical session, and will among other discussions, consider and adopt the 4POW for 2021-2024. The Forum will also take into account the review cycle of the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF), and the theme of the 2021 International Day of Forests, “Forest Restoration: a Path to Recovery and Well-being.”
The Forum will also discuss:
- UN strategic plan for forests 2017-2030 (UNSPF) communication and outreach strategy;
- thematic priorities for 2021-2022 in support of the UNSPF;
- monitoring, assessment, and reporting, including the Forum flagship publication;
- enhanced cooperation, coordination, and engagement on forest-related issues;
- emerging issues, including impacts of COVID-19 on forests and the forest sector;
- Facilitation Network and availability of resources; and
- the UNFF Trust Fund.
The outcome of UNFF16 will be a Chair’s summary of the discussions including a summary of a high-level round table to be held during the meeting.