BIOPAMA launched the first call for proposals for small technical grants of up to 50,000 and up to 100,000 EUR in the frame of its “Action component” to address pressing and straightforward needs that are already clearly identified.
The objective of the small technical grants (PST) of the BIOPAMA action fund is to respond to simple and pressing needs which have already been identified in a public document. The BIOPAMA Action Component provides funding opportunities to address protected and conserved areas, sustainable use of biodiversity, natural resources priorities for actions on the ground in Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific (ACP) countries.
The Biodiversity and Protected Areas Management (BIOPAMA) Programme is an initiative of the ACP Group of States financed by the European Union’s 11th European Development Fund (EDF). It is part of the EU Biodiversity for Life Flagship initiative (B4Life) which supports efforts to halt loss of biodiversity and ecosystem services and is jointly implemented by the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN) and the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission (JRC).
What type of Interventions are Eligible?
- Purchase of essential supplies and equipment for management, patrolling, anti-poaching operations, visitors’ management (car, boat…..) to ensure the effective implementation of field operations;
- Creation of essential infrastructure for management, patrolling, anti-poaching operations, visitor management, livelihoods of local communities living in and around protected areas in priority conservation landscapes when it will bring positive effects for protected areas management;
- Quantified management and governance diagnostic assessment tools, such as IMET or PAME tools (e.g. METT, RAPPAM, Green List, EoH, or equivalent).
Who is Eligible for Small Technical Grant?
- Registered public or private legal entity in charge of protected and conserved areas management at the national, sub-national or site level, or agencies involved in a transboundary conservation area:
- National/Sub-national agencies in charge of protected and conserved areas; or
- Protected and conserved Areas (including ICCAs) represented by its legal representative.
- Not be individual or sole traders
- Be established in an eligible ACP country to the BIOPAMA AC;
- Be directly responsible for the preparation and management of the grant, not acting as an intermediary; and
- Not be a beneficiary of a grant funded by the European Union (including EDF funds) for the same activities.
Examples of activities that could be supported by a BIOPAMA Action Component STG:
- Promoting ecotourism, including construction of small scale infrastructure e.g. visitor track, eco-lodge, bird-watching tower, arboretum, visitors’ centre, small pier for boats, basic scuba diving equipment;
- Small/medium scale reforestation including replanting;
- Small scale aquaculture;
- Small-scale community agroforestry and animal husbandry for visitors and local consumption;
- Small-scale irrigation or drainage systems requiring minor infrastructure and civil works;
- Vehicles, boat for protected areas surveillance, patrolling, visitation;
- Communication devices (e.g. two-way radios, mobile phones, radar, information board);
- Mapping, navigation tools and wildlife tracking (GPS);
- Boundaries and zoning demarcation tools (e.g. buoy, fence, board);
- Training for visitor eco-guide and visitor management;
- Training for anti-poaching control;
- Training for wildlife tracking and monitoring;
- Conducting assessments of management or governance assessment using Protected Areas Management
- Effectiveness tools and/or Protected Areas Governance Effectiveness tools.
Interested organizations can apply until 4 February 2020 at 23:59 Brussels date and time through the BIOPAMA Action Component online portal.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
For further information, visit this link.